| Porch pals and critters are easy to paint and are alot of fun. Paving stones and bricks can be found at your local garden/ landscaping center such as Lowe's or Home Depot. They are very inexpensive usually around 59 cents each. I love the ones painted in the book Porch Pals and Yard Critters by Maureen Hart. For my porch this summer I am painting the lady bugs found in this book but there are about 16 other critters to paint and she even has another book full of them.
Acrylic and/or latex paint in the colors desired
Stiff brush ( preferably an old brush since painting the pavers is very hard on brushes so be sure not to use your good brushes. I also do not use sponge brushes since the surface tends to tear them up)
All purpose sealer
1. If you are using an old brick or paver wash with soapy water and let dry thoroughly
2. Apply a coat of the all purpose sealer and let dry thoroughly
3. Basecoat your brick or paver with the desired color. I have found that if you load your brush heavily and dab like when stenciling you will get much better coverage. You may need 2-3 coats for complete coverage
4. Transfer any details to the paver using your traced pattern and graphite paper or just draw the details on free hand lightly with a pencil
5. Paint all details and let the piece dry thoroughly
6. Remove all pencil marks and then varnish with an exterior varnish 2-3 coats before placing outside
You will find that these are fun and easy to make and very addictive. Just let your imagination and creativity run wild !
Labels: crafts, crating, painting pavers, summer crafts